All About Commercial Lawn Mowers.
Commercial lawn mowers deliver that sharp, well-manicured look for your lawn.
These machines are wider, have deeper decks and more suction. Other mowers do not give the same striping effect. So, if you want your lawn to look professionally maintained, start by choosing a lawn mower that a landscaper would use.
In general, the initial costs of commercial lawn mowers are more expensive than traditional ones. However, commercial equipment will last ten times longer and make your lawn look ten times better. Another option is to buy a used one, but have a mechanic check it out first.
Riding Lawn Mowers
- Most homeowners use tractor-type riding mowers with a steering wheel. This is not my top choice, unless you are cutting over an acre of wide-open turf. They are very hard to maneuver due to the steering design and lack of maneuverability.
- Ride-on commercial lawn mowers are a great choice for mowing flatter properties, multiple acres, and where fatigue is a concern.
- Most manufacturers offer a zero turn riding lawn mower, the Lexus of the lawn mower world. Landscapers love them because they are fast, maneuverable, very productive, and the best of all, you get to sit.
- Most brands come in the following cutting widths: 36, 48, 52, 60 and 72 inches.
- Price range is $5,000-11,000.
- Compare the top zero turn riders.(Reviewed by Robert DeStaso Landscaping.)
Walk Behind Mowers
- Another productive option would be walk behind commercial lawn mowers. This is a great choice for hilly properties that you wouldn’t want to risk flipping a rider mower.
- If the ground is soft, the machine is lighter and won’t sink in.
- They are very fast, productive, self propelled and can trailer a sulky or velkie (a wheel the operator stands on—like surfing or water skiing.)
- Most brands come in the following cutting widths: 36, 48, 52, and 60 inches.
- Price range is $2,500-5,000.
- Compare the top walk behinds.(Reviewed by Robert DeStaso Landscaping.)
Stand-On Surfer Mowers
- If you can’t decide between a riding or walk behind mower, get a stand-on surfer mower. They are fast, maneuverable, and fun to mow with.
- Its spring-loaded platform makes hitting bumps easy on the knees and back.
- You lean your hips and upper thighs against a thick cushion for balance.
- If you use it all day, your legs will feel tired from bouncing up and down, but it sure beats walking behind a mower all day.
- Surfer commercial lawn mowers are safe on hills because you can jump off if you are unsteady.
- It’s easy to maneuver in tight spaces because they aren’t as long as ride-on mowers.
- Some manufacturers are Wright, Great Dane, John Deere, and Everride. I don’t know why they aren’t more popular. I loved my Great Dane surfer mower, but I had to sell it because I didn’t have any dealer support in my area.
- Price range is $4,000-6,000.
- Compare the top surfers.(Reviewed by Robert DeStaso Landscaping.)
Small Push Mowers
- The only reason why a professional would use a small push mower would be to get through a narrow gate or for properties where a commercial mower is just too big.
- However, they are lightweight, good exercise, easy to maintain, and fit in your trunk if you have to bring it somewhere to get fixed.
More on Choosing Commercial Lawn Mowers...
- Dealer support. I put this first for a reason. Even the most reliable mowers require a repair here or there. Even if you are mechanically inclined, it’s not worth having a mower if you can’t get parts for it.
- Get something you’ll enjoy using. If you hate mowing and your mower, your lawn is not going to get cut. A zero turn rider and surfer mowers are a lot of fun.
- Resaleability. If you want to hold onto a mower for the duration of its warrantee, so go with a name brand for resale purposes. I’ve gotten stuck holding onto off name brand equipment because people are reluctant to try something new. If you aren’t sure what has resale value, check out what’s selling on Ebay.
- Overbuy, rather than underbuy. I’m a firm believer you get what you pay for. I’ve tried about every mower out there, and have always ended up paying more in repairs in the long run when I thought I was getting a great deal on the initial price.
- Mower Maintenance. The problems of most commerical lawn mowers are attributed to the lack of maintenance. Before each use: check oil level and clean the engine blower screen. After 25 hours: clean air filter, sharpen blades, check tire inflation, battery and belts. After 50 hours: change engine oil. Annually: change fuel filter, spark plug, and oil filter. There will be less problems to troubleshoot if you keep up with maintenance.
Why Buy a Wide Cut Walk Behind Lawn Mower? Find out why wide cut walk behind lawn mowers are the choice of professionals.
Zero Turn Mowers - Frequently Asked Questions Find out the answers to the most common questions about this innovative design.
Lawn Mower Mulching Blades - Frequently Asked Questions I wish I had started using mulching blades sooner for both cutting lawns and leaf cleanups.
Used Commercial Lawn Mowers: Buyers Guide
Buying used commercial lawn mowers can be tricky. Avoid buying a headache by checking for these 10 things…
Top 10 Lawn Mower Problems
According to mechanics, these are the most common lawn mower problems...
Return from Commercial Lawn Mowers to Homepage.