Frequently Asked Questions About Grass Seed
Where do I buy grass seed?
- Garden centers (Nursery, Home Depot, Lowes)
- If possible, buy in bulk for a better price.
- Read the labels. Beware of annual seed.
- Don’t buy the cheapest. You’ll pay more later for the right seed.
How much to water grass?
Best time to plant grass?
- For newly planted grass
seed--water frequently. Keep soil moist.
- For established
grass---water deeply, but infrequently.
- Spring, Fall – every 3 to 5 days
- Summer – Every 2 to 3 days.
morning is the best time.
- Early fall time--Sept. Cool nighttime temperatures, warm days, and dewy mornings make the fall an ideal time.
- It is more commonly done in Spring, which is ok too.
- If your goal is spring germination, plant in November.
Best grass seed for fall?
Best grass seed for sandy conditions?
- Fall is the best TIME to
plant seed, but the BEST seed depends on the specific growing conditions:
- Warm or cool
- Sunny or shady
- Dry or damp
- Sandy or loamy
Best temperature for grass seed to grow?
- For Cool-Season, the Tall Fescues.
- For Warm-Season, Bermudagrass, Zoysiagrass, and Buffalograss
Return from Frequently Asked Questions to How to Choose Grass Seed.