Home Remedies for Weeds
There are several home remedies for weeds. The following tips on mowing, fertilizing, and watering have a major influence on preventing weeds. After weeds appear, other solutions include the use of vinegar, boiling water, and your own two hands.
BEFORE Weeds Appear
- 1. Mow high and mow often. Mowing high means keeping your grass on the longer side of its optimal height. This keeps the soil cooler and provides shade that restricts the growth of annual weeds. Weed seeds on the soil surface need the heat of the sun to flourish. Scalping your lawn is an open invitation for weeds. Second, once weeds have already invaded your lawn, frequent mowing will keep them in check. A weed can't form seedheads when its topmost growth keeps getting lopped off.
- Fertilize at the correct times. The goal is to feed your lawn, not your weeds. Cool season grasses should be fertilized in early spring and late fall. Fertilizing cool season grasses in the heat of the summer will only promote more weeds. Warm season grasses should be fertilized at the height of their growth period in the summer. Avoid feeding in the cooler spring or summer when the weeds are likely to emerge.
- Water deeply and infrequently. There are weed seeds hiding out in your lawn just waiting for the right conditions to emerge. Those seeds grow best when kept damp with light frequent watering.
AFTER Weeds Appear
- Vinegar. Vinegar is acetic acid, which works as a postemergence, nonselective herbicide. It will kill the visible portion of the plant, but may not kill the roots. Since it is nonselective, it can kill the surrounding turf as well.
- Boiling Water. Pour boiling water directly onto the weed. Boiling water works as a postemergence, nonselective herbicide. Since it is nonselective, it can kill the surrounding turf as well. This method of weed control won't harm people, pets, or the environment. Just don't burn yourself in the process.
- Your Two Hands. Only pull weeds by hand if you have a few scattered ones. Otherwise, you will drive yourself crazy and spend countless hours doing this.
Return from Home Remedies for Weeds to Weeds.
Return from Home Remedies for Weeds to Home Page.