Hustler / Mini FasTrak / 2009 Review
by Michael Goldston
After considerable searching and test driving, I finally decided to buy the Hustler Mini FasTrak to replace my aging Dixon ZTR.
1) the Hustler looks bullet proof. Very solid, durable frame, deck and mechanical linkages;
2) with dual gas tanks I don't expect to run out of gas very often;
3) capable of fast mowing and transport speed;
4) very quick steering making it necessary to take extra care with edging and getting close to ponds, ditches and obstacles;
5) the 17HP Kohler engine seems easy to service and I expect as reliable as my old 13HP B&S;
6) not as noisy as most other mowers I checked out, but doesn't purr either;
7) very simple, easy to use controls and deck position adjustment;
8) the automatic parking brake (with handles in open position) is much better than having to remember to set or unset something;
9) cutting with with mulching kit is as good as my Dixon (which was very good).
The only thing I don't care for so much is the very quick steering. I don't want to accidently run this thing in my pond or irrigation ditch!
Overall, I am very pleased with the Hustler after my first 4 days of ownership.