Lawn mower mulching blades come with a mulching mower or with a mulch kit for a regular mower.
What is the difference between a regular and mulching mower?
- A regular mower blows clippings into a catcher or through a side discharge shoot.
- A mulching mower has no discharge chute. Instead of blowing clippings out, airflow is recycled underneath the deck and the blades shred the clippings until they drop onto the ground.
Why use mulching blades (mulching mowers)?
- The clippings breakdown faster and recycle moisture and nutrients back to the soil.
- Less hassle disposing of debris. Some garbage companies or town landfills do not accept clippings and leaves or require you to pay extra fees for disposal.
- Mowing is faster because there is no catcher to empty.
What do lawn mower mulching blades look like?
Wavy rather than straight. The sharp edge is much longer. Within each wave has its own cutting edge. This cuts and recuts the grass at several different levels.
What is in a mulch kit?
A mulch kit comes with a plate to block the discharge chute, hardware, and mulching blades. Most mower manufacturers make their own mulch kits.
Are there any negatives?
If the lawn is already extremely thick and lush, the sheer volume of clippings may bog down the machine.
What about mulching leaves in the fall?
It saves so much time, labor, and money in leaf cleanups. I wish I started mulching leaves years ago. First, I use push blowers and backpacks to blow debris out the beds and onto the lawn. Then, I mow the lawn several times to really disintegrate the leaves. Only if you get down on your knees, can you see the tiny shredded leaves. My customers, who aren’t home when their cleanup is done, think that the leaves are physically picked up and removed.
Lawn Mower Mulching Blades on Ebay
Here are the mulching blades that are currently listed for sale on Ebay. I’ve found some great deals there in the past. If you aren’t already a member of eBay, you need to go to the registration page before you can bid, buy, or sell anything.